Content marketing is where you write or hire expert writers to write your blog posts, articles, white papers, etc. which let the reader know about your expertise and your skills. Content marketing differs from direct marketing by taking a little longer, but providing long lasting leads.
Advantages of Content Marketing
- It’s long lasting. Marketing materials normally get outdated and within weeks and months you will need to get them re-written, but content will last forever. Content like blogs and white papers can be written to stay evergreen.
- Some types of content like white papers and guides can help bring leads quicker. White papers and guides help convince skeptical audiences that your services are genuine and can generate leads faster than direct marketing material.
- You can use it on social media. It would be hard to get people to read your direct marketing material on social media. But one thing you can get them to read is free tips from blogs and white papers which will help readers.
- It is cheaper. The long lasting nature of content makes them cheaper. You can go for years without having to rewrite them. This will help you save a lot of money.
Top 8 Free Effective Ways to Promote Your Content Online in 2021
The first step would be to look for forums which are within your niche. It should be forums where people will visit to ask questions and look for answers which you specialize in providing. Finding forums where you can share your expertise, you can visit them regularly and start writing your brief answers to all the problems they need solved. When you have answered their questions, you can provide a link to your website or your blog where they can find more content, which will give them a broader answer.
Therefore visiting forums, such as sitepoint.com, forums.digitalpoint.com, webmasterforums.com, on a regular basis and promoting your content will end up in your leads as well as your traffic increase.
Promoting content on social bookmarking sites is one of the most popular marketing strategies around the Internet. Getting featured on the front page of those websites can send tens of thousands of visitors to your blog in a matter of days.
Social bookmarking sites represent a family of websites that allow users to discover, submit, share and vote on stories and articles from around the Internet. The most popular social bookmarking sites are Digg.com, Reddit.com,Mix.com and Scoop.it etc.
There are a couple of things that you should know about bookmarking:
- First of all, social bookmarking traffic is very peculiar. It does not click on ads. It does not stick around on your site. And it rarely subscribes to your RSS feed.
- Secondly, not all types of content will work on all social bookmarking sites. SEO and blogging related topics tend to perform really poorly on Digg, for example, while political coverage receives good attention on Reddit. You will need to find what is the right social bookmarking site for your content.
Since all bookmarking sites require registration, there is no way that any spam links can be generated to or from your site.
Social bookmarking sites are search engine-friendly, and within seven days of submission links start to appear in all major search engines. If you are serious about your site’s Link Building, Ranking and Traffic, then Social Bookmarking is a necessity.
The truth is that most journalists will never write about your company or product. You must be newsworthy! It means something new in your business that someone besides you cares about. The solution is – a great story.
The majority press releases received by news organizations are deleted or thrown away. They are never seen by anyone else. But online it doesn’t matter because you decide what gets published. All you need to do is write a press release and distribute it through an online news portal. But first, you have to have a killer idea.
You can try these steps:
- Publish Case Studies, Data and Surveys. If you have research to share, a press release is a great way to do it. So maybe you looked through your customer list and found that small businesses with a blog get 5x more traffic to their web site. You can expand that and send it out.
- Make Lists. You can create stories around a list. Information like “The 3 Mistakes Most Small Business Owners Make, ”Small Business Trends Names 5 Best Online Tools for Small Businesses,” or similar make good stories.
- Give the Major News Story a Local (or your) Spin. You’ll need to act fast to capitalize on this opportunity but it can be worth it. When big news hits and you can add your take, you can be a local expert on the topic.
- Highlight the Strange and Bizarre. This idea can go viral more quickly. Find the odd, sensational, strange and deranged to write about. The stranger the story, the more likely you’ll get publicity from your press release. This is extreme marketing.
Most businesses overlook many opportunities to send out a press release and get some media coverage. They make the one common mistake: they make it about them, not the story. Once you do that you’ll turn most people off right away, including journalists.
LinkedIn is one of the best at driving traffic, encouraging engagement and actually converting the target audience. The same may not hold true for every business, but many B2B marketers have reported that LinkedIn is the most useful social network for promoting content. LinkedIn Groups are the perfect platform for content promotion.
People join LinkedIn Groups that describe them; their industry, job title, hobbies and so forth. It could be a group as broad as “marketing professionals” or as niche as “Des Moines Iowa Soccer Moms.” When you submit a piece of your content to a LinkedIn Group, you know that it is being presented to the exact audience you are trying to target. Join the same LinkedIn Groups of your target market so that you can share your content with them.
YouTube is the world’s largest video sharing website. It is the part of Google. Visitors can search for and watch videos on nearly an unlimited number of subjects. It’s easy to publish a video on YouTube, just sign up and you’re ready to go.
People are consuming video and lots of it. With users demanding more interaction and video making a huge push into the online world, YouTube is the first place that comes to people’s mind. The likelihood that your target audience is watching is very high. The reasons for getting your content on YouTube seem quite obvious.
How to Set Up YouTube:
- Create a YouTube Account
- Create a YouTube Channel
- Upload Videos to YouTube
Once you have created your account and uploaded your first video, you should set up a YouTube Channel. Your channel is where all your videos are stored and is, essentially, your YouTube landing page where other users can subscribe to new content you post, become friends, send messages and share your channel. See HubSpot’s YouTube Channel for an example.
Squidoo is a web 2.0 content platform. That’s free of charge for anyone that would like to write content without the requirement of owning your own domain and hosting. Squidoo is actually quite a wonderful place to promote your business through content.
Using Squidoo you can promote your business:
- Creating a hub to educate others Squidoo becomes a great resource for online businesses that wish to share their content with the rest of the net but do not have other domains to publish content to. Writing on Squidoo, a business can create content that other members of the community and the web can use in relation to the business’s industry such as helpful tutorials, directories and frequently asked questions. The added benefit of using Squidoo to share information is that it builds credibility and authority for the business.
- Showing off videos and other media. It can be a great place to add additional information related to each piece of content. Instead of relying on the limited space of the description box in YouTube, businesses using Squidoo could use the platform to further explain the content of the video, pictures or audio. Additionally, some media may not entirely fit within the scope of a business such as entertaining pieces mainly because a business would want to keep a professional image. Using Squidoo, businesses could share a wide range of multimedia which would otherwise go unused and unpublished on their own site.
- Building backlinks to your website Finally, It can become very handy for businesses that wish to build backlinks to their websites or landing pages. The ease of creating a Squidoo lens is simple enough that even the newbie tech savvy business owner can take full advantage of its publishing capabilities. Squidoo allows you to place links back to your own website and due to its high Page Rank, your backlinks will have added weight over time as it’s indexed. Creating lenses on a regular basis can continue to raise the search engine rankings of a business and their inner pages dramatically as time progresses.
Facebook is a social networking site where users connect with each other. It has over 500 million active users and that number continues to grow steadily. This is the third most trafficked website in the world and the most trafficked social media site in the world.
This is the largest social network, having a Facebook Business Page is a great way to stay connected with prospects and customers on a site they likely visit on a daily basis. It also allows you to facilitate a more personal connection with your audience. You’ll be able to share company insights, industry updates, pictures, videos, and more with your audience. You’ll also be able to get your fans’ opinions via polls and comments on your updates.
Facebook Business Goals. Because of the sheer number of users on this platform, a segment of your audience is represented on this network. For a business, there are five primary goals for connecting with the Facebook community:
- Build relationships with clients and potential clients
- Establish a presence for your business on Facebook through a Business Page
- Leverage viral features to strengthen brand awareness
- Generate traffic, links, and leads naturally through viral features
- Potentially buy target ads to prospects via Facebook advertising network, which offers an extensive set of demographic and psychographic information not available anywhere else.
Twitter is a tool for “micro-blogging” or posting very short updates, comments or thoughts. It was designed to be very compatible with mobile phones through text messages, each update is limited to 140 characters.
Twitter is most importantly a tool for building relationships with users. Because people tweet what is going on in their lives and share relevant and personal information it is a way to better understand people without ever having met them.
Business Goals from Twitter
- Engage your senior executives in social media.
- Build and maintain PR relationships media / bloggers.
- Monitor your company / brand on this social media platform.
- Promote blog articles, webinars, interesting news and more.
- Announce specials, deals or sales.
- Live updates on events or conferences.
Content is definitely the king. It is extremely important that you never underestimate the power of your content. If it is done correctly, it will touch many people, provoke them into thinking differently than they ever did before, and really want to continue to interact with you. The more you interact, the greater your chances of eventually turning them into loyal customers.